For his diet, Kennedy, the former Greeen Beret war hero, works with registered dietician PR Cole. He’s an exceptionally disciplined eater whose success, Cole says, can be attributed to choosing real foods over processed products—along with several other strategies they’ve devised to help him stay healthy, ripped and strong.
Kennedy's Top 10 Nutrition Principles
- Eat breakfast every day, and never go more than three hours without fuel to keep your metabolism active.
- Fuel your body with a high-carb, moderate protein snack before workouts.
- Post-workout, eat a meal with both carbs and quality protein to promote an anabolic response and repair lean tissue.
- Minimize your intake of inflammation-promoting saturated fats from full-fat dairy and meats. Incorporate unsaturated fats like omega-3 from foods like wild salmon to restrict inflammation and boost cardiovascular health.
- Stay hydrated. Never lose more than 2% of your body weight in sweat. This will keep your core temperature low and help ward off fatigue.
- Eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables every day to add fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners. They cause unwanted cravings for sweet snacks.
- Take a standard multivitamin supplement while losing weight and training hard.
- Plan out a day’s worth of meals and snacks in advance so there’s no question of what and when you eat.
- If you’re cutting weight before a fight, opt for a low-sodium diet in the days leading up to weigh-ins to encourage your body to lose water weight.
See Kennedy's sample one-day diet on the next page.