As we step into another winter prepping our bodies, or armor, as I like to put it, we must deal with the daunting task of staying healthy and injury free. And if you're a die hard like me, you loathe the freak injuries that can result from poor preparation. So to limit the chances of getting run down or injured during the colder months, consider following these five simple tips to keep you healthy and at the top of your game.
So let's go to the basics. I always wear a beanie and I'm always garbed in a sweatsuit. Now other than looking cool, beanies serve a very vital part in injury and sickness prevention. That's because 70 percent of your body heat is expensed through your head, which leaves a mere 30 percent to keep you warm. Keeping your body temperature stable is one of the most important things you can do during the winter to maintain optimal health.
Make sure you have adequate warm up & cool down sessions. One of the best warm ups is the eliptical. It warms up everything and gets the blood flowing. I also love jump-roping. I'll incorporate 3 minutes of jumping rope into most workouts. Not only does it warm my muscles, but it sharpens my mental focus for the workout ahead.