- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz) can light unsweetened reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 (16 oz) bag dried split peas
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat a large soup pot on medium heat. Add oil. Sauté shallots and red bell pepper for 1 minute, stirring. Add curry powder and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, coconut milk, peas, chili flakes, and bay leaf and bring to a gentle boil. Once just boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and partially cover with lid. Continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add sweet potatoes and continue simmering until cooked. Once it is cooked through, taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped chives to finish.