- 1 orange
- 1 avocado, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 4 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 grass-fed flank steak (1½ lbs), fat trimmed
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Peel and quarter orange, then slice crosswise into 1⁄2-inch-thick pieces.
- Combine orange, avocado, tomatoes, shallot, cilantro, and serrano in bowl. Add lime juice and 1⁄4 tsp salt; gently toss to combine. Cover and set aside.
- For charcoal grill: Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes. For gas grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn off other burner(s).
- Clean and oil cooking grate. Pat steak dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
- Place steak over hot part of grill and cook until beginning to char and beads of moisture appear on outer edges of meat, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip steak and continue to cook until charredandmeatregisters 125°F (for medium-rare),
about 5 minutes.
- Transfer steak to cutting board, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice steak against grain. Serve with tomato mixture.