Get more keto-friendly recipes here.
Recipe excerpted from The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen, by Carolyn Ketchum. Copyright 2017. Used with permission of the publisher, Victory Belt Publishing.
- 2-2½ lbs bone-in short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp lard, bacon fat, or coconut oil
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup chopped red onions
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt lard over medium-high heat. Add ribs in a single layer, fat-side down, and cook undisturbed for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip ribs over; cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, red wine, onions, tomato paste, and thyme to bottom of pot. Whisk together and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pot and transfer to oven. Cook for 1½ hours, until ribs are fork-tender. Remove ribs and stir sauce until well combined. Spoon sauce over ribs upon serving.