With the right plan and the right discipline, you can get seriously shredded in just 28 days.Read article
Combs GF, Jr and Gray WP. Chemopreventive agents: Selenium. Pharmacol Ther 1998; 79:179-92.
Arthur, J.R. “The role of selenium in thyroid hormone metabolism.” Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1991 Nov;69(11):1648-52.
Arthur, J.R., et al. “Selenium deficiency, thyroid hormone metabolism, and thyroid hormone deiodinases.” Am J Clin Nutr. 1993 Feb;57(2 Suppl):236S-239S.
Lauretani, F., et al. Association of low plasma selenium concentrations with poor muscle strength in older community-dwelling adults: the InCHIANTI Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 86(2): 347-352, 2007.
Thomson, C.D., et al. “Brazil nuts: an effective way to improve selenium status.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Feb;87(2):379-84.
Get a Grip:
Barnett, C. and P. Turner. Effects of Variations of the Bench Press Exercise on the EMG Activity of Five Shoulder Muscles. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: 9: 4, 222-227, 1995.
Glass, S. C. and T. Armstrong. Electromyographical Activity of the Pectoralis Muscle During Incline and Decline Bench Presses. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: 11: 3, 163-167, 1997.
Lehman, G. J.. The influence of grip width and forearm pronation/supination on upper-body myoelectric activity during the flat bench press. mpact of metabolic stress on hormonal responses and muscular adaptations. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 19(3): 587-581, 2005.
Potier, T. G., et al. Effects of eccentric strength training on biceps femoris muscle architecture and knee joint range of movement. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2009 Apr;105(6):939-44.
Massey C. D., et al. An analysis of full range of motion vs. partial range of motion training in the development of strength in untrained men. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 18(3): 518-521, 2004.
Deltour, I., et al. Time trends in brain tumor incidence rates in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, 1974-2003. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009 Dec 16;101(24):1721-4.
The Mighty Mineral:
Mathers, T. W. and Beckstrand, R. L. Oral magnesium supplementation in adults with coronary heart disease or coronary heart disease risk. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2009 Dec;21(12):651-7.
Weeks BS. Formulations of dietary supplements and herbal extracts for relaxation and anxiolytic action: Relarian. Med Sci Monit. 2009 Nov;15(11):RA256-62.
Nieman DC, Cayea EJ, Austin MD, Henson DA, McAnulty SR, Jin F. Chia seed does not promote weight loss or alter disease risk factors in overweight adults. Nutr Res. 2009 Jun;29(6):414-8.
The Engery Compound
Nieman DC, Williams AS, Shanely RA, Jin F, McAnulty SR, Triplett NT, Austin MD, Henson DA. Quercetin’s Influence on Exercise Performance and Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Mero, A. A., et al. Effects Of α-hydroxyisocaproic Acid On Body Composition, Doms And Performance In Athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 51(5): 507, 2009.
Tea with Mercury
Reference/source: Kukuljan S, Nowson CA, Sanders K, Daly RM. Effects of resistance exercise and fortified milk on skeletal muscle mass, muscle size, and functional performance in middle-aged and older men: an 18-mo randomized controlled trial. J Appl Physiol. 2009 Dec;107(6):1864-73. Epub 2009 Oct 22.
1. Cecil, Essentials of Medicine, 3rd edition
2. DeFuria J, Bennett G, Strissel, KJ, et al. Dietary blueberry attenuates whole-body insulin resistance in high fat-fed mice by reducing adipocyte death and its inflammatory sequelae. Journal of Nutrition 2009; Aug: 139(8):1510-6.
3. Olivares M, Diaz-Ropero MP, Gomez N, et al. The consumption of two new probiotic strains, Lactobacillus gasseri CECT 5714 and Lactobacillus corniformis CECT 5711, boosts the immune system of healthy humans. Int. Microbiol. 2006; March: 9(1):47-52.
4.Schiffrin EJ, Parkesak A, Bode JC, et al. Probiotic yogurt in the elderly with intestinal bacterial overgrowth: endotoxaemia and innate immune functions. Br J Nutrition 2009; April :101(7):961-6.
5. Ghazanfari T, Hassan ZM, Khamesiporu A. Enhancement of peritoneal macrophage phagocytic activity against Leishmania major by garlic (Allium sativum) treatment. J Ethnopharmacol 2006; Feb. 20: 103(3):333-7.
6. Tattelman E. Health effects of garlic. Am Fam Physician 2005; July 1:72(1):103-6.
7. Davis SR. An overview of the antifungal properties of allicin and its breakdown products – the possibility of a safe and effective antifungal prophylactic. Mycoses 2005; March:48(2):95-100.
8. Lissiman E, Bhassale AL, Cohen M. Garlic for the common cold. Cochrane Database System Review 2009; July 8(3): CD006206.
9. Rop O, Mlcek J, Jurikova T. Beta-glucans in higher fungi and their health effects. Nutr Rev 2009; Nov.: 67(11):624-31.
10. Boom KL, Khor YY, Sweetman E, et al. Antimicrobial activity of honey from the stingless bee Trigona carbonaria determined by agar diffusion, agar dilution, broth microdilution and time-kill methodology. J Appl Microbiol 2009; Oct: 7
11. Rodriguez-Malaver AJ, Rasmussen C, Gutierrez MG, et al. Properties of honey from ten species of Peruvian stingless bees. Nat Prod Commun. 2009; Sep.: 4(9):1221-6.
12. Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, And Zinc. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.
13. Winterferst ES, Maggini S, Hornig DH. Contribution of selected vitamins and trace elements to immune function. Ann Nutr Metab 2007; 51:301-23
14. Yamaguchi S, Miura C, Kikuchi K, et al. Zinc is an essential trace element for spermatogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009; June 30: 106(26):10859-64.
15. Butt MS, Sultan MT. Green tea: nature’s defense against malignancies. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2009; May: 49(5): 463-73.
16. Sharma V, Rao LJ. A thought on the biological activiites of black tea. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2009; May: 49(5): 379-404.
17. Guadagni M, Biolo G. Effects of inflammation and/or inactivity on the need for dietary protein. Cuur Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2009; Nov.:12(6):617-22.
18. DeSimone C, Ferrari M, Lozzi A, et al. Vitamins and immunity: II. Influence of L-carnitine on the immune system. Acta Vitaminol Enzymol 1982; 4(1-2):135-40.
19. Von Woedtke T, Schluter B, Pflegel P, et al. Aspects of the antimicrobial efficacy of grapefruit seed extract and its relation to preservative substances contained. Pharmazie 1999; June: 54(6):452-6.
20. Waitzberg DL, Torrinhas RS. Fish oil lipid emulsions and immune response: what clinicians need to know. Nutr Clin Pract 2009; Aug-Sep: 24(4): 487-99.
21. Krangel MS, Carabana J, Abarrategui I. Some nuts are tougher to crack than others. Immunity 2006; Apr: 24(4):381-91.
22. Som EW, Lee SR, Choi HS, et al. Effects of supplementation with higher levels of manganese and magnesium on immune function. Arch Pharm Res 2007; June: 30(6):743-9.
23. Roxas M, Jurenka J. Colds and influenza: a review of diagnosis and conventional, botanical, and nutritional considerations. Altern Med Rev 2007; March: 12(1): 25-48.
24. Castell LM, Newsholme EA. Glutamine and the effects of exhaustive exercise upon the immune response. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1998; May: 76(5): 524-32.
25. Akerstrom TC, Pedersen BK. Strategies to enhance immune function for marathon runners: what can be done? Sports Med 2007; 37(4-5):416-9.
26. DeFlora S, Grassi C, Carati L. Attenuation of influenza-like symptomatology and improvement of cell-mediated immunity with long-term-N-acetylcysteine treatment. Eur Respir J 1997; 10: 1535-1541.
27. Deruelle F, Baron B. Vitamin C: is supplementation necessary for optimal health? J Altern Complement Med 2008; Dec.: 14(10):1291-8.
28. Ginde AA, Mansbach JM, Camargo CA Jr. Assocaiton between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and upper resporatory tract infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med 2009; Feb. 23: 169 (4): 384-90.