Jump to the recipe
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth (for barely)
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 cups maitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp fine herbs (chives, parsley, tarragon, chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 ̊.
- Bring 5 cups broth to a boil, and add barley and bay leaf.
- Cook for 30–35 minutes. Spread on a sheet pan to cool.
- Peel squash. Cut off the bottom, and split it down the center. Remove all seeds, then dice.
- Toss squash with 2 Tbsp olive oil, then place on a baking sheet. Cook in oven 15–20 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp olive oil, shallots, and garlic.
- “Sweat” shallots and garlic, then add mushrooms. Sauté until tender.
- De-glaze pan with wine. (Heat until sauce forms.)
- Add 2 cups broth, barley, and squash, and continue to cook over medium heat.
- Once barley begins to thicken, add cheese and finish with herbs.