Power of Cheese
Ounce for ounce, Parmigiano-Reggiano has one of the highest protein amounts of any cheese. Combined with ricotta, this meal provides 50 grams of protein.
SEE ALSO: Veggie Power: Farro and Roasted Eggplant Recipe
- 1 Medium-size eggplant
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup jarred marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F and place a rack over a large baking sheet.
- Cut the ends off eggplant. Cut it lengthwise into 1⁄4- to 1⁄2-inch-thick slices.
- Place eggplant on rack; add a pinch of salt and set aside for 15 minutes to release liquid; bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mix ricotta, egg, and Parmigiano-Reggiano in a large bowl.
- Add mixture to eggplant slices and roll up tightly.
- Spread 1⁄4 cup of sauce in a 9-by-13 baking dish.
- Place eggplant rolls on top of sauce seam side down.
- Top with remaining sauce and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.