- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced white onions
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1 medium roasted chicken, shredded
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Zest 1/2 lemon
- Preheat a large soup pot on medium heat for 1 minute. Add oil and sauté onions and celery for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not brown.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, and bay leaves and continue to sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and partially cover with lid. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add barley and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add parsley and lemon zest.