This is the sort of dish you’d typically find in a high-end restaurant, but with this recipe you put together this herbal tuna salad yourself.
Check out this and two other hearty toast recipes here.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 (4 oz) cans tuna packed in water (or oil)
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 4 Tbsp lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 Kirby cucumbers or 1⁄2 English cucumber, diced (1 to 11⁄2 cups)
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, diced (1 to 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup small capers, drained and patted dry
- 1 epibaguette, sliced across, oven-toasted dry
- 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat oil and rosemary sprigs until rosemary has fried up but is not burned, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove sprigs. Pour oil into a small bowl, and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix tuna, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined. Mix in 1⁄4 cup of rosemary oil, cucumbers, celery, and parsley.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 Tbsp of rosemary oil and fry capers until crisped up, about 3 minutes. Let cool on a paper towel.
- Keeping epibaguette “leaves” connected on each bread half, assemble toasts by topping each epi. “leaf” with a drizzle of remaining 2 Tbsp rosemary oil. Top each with a Bibb lettuce leaf, a scoop of tuna salad, and some fried capers.