- 3 oz thick-cut pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or dried sage
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 3 cups cooked or canned (drained and rinsed) navy beans
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute pancetta or bacon until browned and some fat has rendered out, about 2 minutes. Remove meat from pan and set aside. Add garlic, thyme, or sage, black pepper and chili flakes, heat 30 seconds.
- Place broth in pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Stir in pancetta or bacon, kale and 1 cup beans; simmer for 10 minutes. Carefully puree soup in a blender, return to pan and stir in remaining beans and lemon juice. If soup is too thick, stir in additional broth or water.
- Serve topped with Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.