Chemical Makeup of the Average Fart
● 59% nitrogen, 21% hydrogen, 9% carbon dioxide, 7% methane and 4% oxygen—all essentially odorless. (Less than 1% is what makes farts stink.)
The Stench Comes...
● ...from minuscule amounts of ammonia, hydrogen sulfide and excrement, which can be smelled at 1 part per 100 million parts air.
● ...that gives farts that special stench is hydrogen sulfide.
The More Sulfur-Rich...
● ...your diet, the more your farts will stink.
● ...cause your flatulence to reek include beans, cabbage, cheese, eggs and soda.
● ...mushrooms and onions cause a lot of gas because they contain complex sugars that your body can’t digest.
● Farts have been clocked at a speed of 10 feet per second.
Fill ’er Up
● 1 quart (or 600 ml) - the average amount of gas a guy with a relatively healthy diet lets out every day