- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 rib celery, cut into small dice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Madras curry powder
- 3⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb dried red lentils, rinsed and drained (pick out small stones)
- 1⁄2 lb dried green lentils, rinsed and drained (pick out small stones)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups thinly sliced Lacinato kale leaves
- 2 tsp sea salt
- In a medium pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add a splash of water if the mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the pot. Stir in the garlic, pepper, curry, and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to high, add the lentils and water, and bring to a boil. Add the kale, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened, the lentils are tender, and the kale is wilted.
- Stir in salt, and serve.