Fashioned after a cemita, an overflowing torta hailing from the Mexican state of Puebla, this sandwich is packed with a fiery bean spread, protein-packed pork tenderloin, and milky queso.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds
- 1 cup refried beans
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime
- 1 canned chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled or grated queso cheese (or feta or mozzarella)
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 4 buns
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook pork until browned on outside and slightly pink inside, about 5 minutes.
- Mix refried beans, tomato paste, onion, garlic, lime juice, chipotle chili, and cumin.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread bean mixture on both bun halves. Top bottom bun with pork. Add avocado and mash lightly with a fork; add cheese, tomato, and cilantro. Place top bun on sandwich.